Memory cards are popular secondary storage devices. But they are also prone to malfunctioning. If you are reading this, chances are that you are dealing with a corrupted card.
There are a lot of reasons that can corrupt memory cards. If you are not able to access the data, do not panic. Whatever the reason, there are chances you can still recover data from SD card. You can take some effective steps for the same. To begin with, stop using the card right away. Using the card might damage it further.
How Memory Cards Gets Corrupted
There are a lot of ways in which a memory card can get corrupted. Hence, they should be regularly backed up. The reasons how memory cards usually get damaged are:
- Turning off the device before the card memory can be successfully written.
- Removing the card from a running device.
- Removing the card in the middle of transferring the files.
- Device Shut down suddenly
- Accessing the card with multiple devices. For example, deleting files with mobile when the card is connected to a computer.
- Physical damage to the card. This includes water and electrostatic damage.
- File system corruption of the device.
- Bad sectors on the memory card. These usually develop automatically over time.
- A virus or malware infections. An interruption in memory card formatting. Formatting should never be stopped midway.
- Manufacturing problems can also corrupt a memory card.
How to Recover Data from Corrupted Memory Cards Without Formatting
Yes, you read that right. Corrupted memory card recovery is possible without formatting it. Here are the measures that you can take to do it. Make sure that you follow the solutions in the right order. Here is everything you need to know about how to recover data from corrupted memory card.
You can try to troubleshoot the memory card. This will check for basic errors. Also, make sure that the card is properly connected.
Changing the drive letter
Can you see the memory card in the file explorer? Are you still not able to access it? This does not necessarily mean that the card is corrupted. Sometimes Windows is not able to assign a drive letter. You can change that on your own. Follow the steps below to change the drive letter:
- Open the Start Menu.
- Type disk management in the search box
- Select ‘Create and format hard disk partitions’.
- Locate your memory card. Right-click on it. Select ‘Change Drive Letter and Paths.’
- Click on ‘Change’. Select a new letter from the drop-down menu.
- Try accessing the card again.
Reinstalling the drivers
Windows drivers can become corrupted. Reinstalling them can fix the issue. Follow these steps below to effectively do this:
- Connect the memory card to the computer.
- Go to the Start Menu. Open the Device Manager.
- Click on Disk Drives. This will show you all the connected devices.
- Select your memory card. Right-click on it. Select ‘Uninstall device’.
- Remove the card from the computer. Restart the computer.
- Plug the card again. Windows will automatically detect and reinstall the driver.
Check the device
Checking the device with Windows is very easy. Windows will find and repair the issues itself. Simply follow the steps below:
- Connect your memory card to the computer.
- Go to My Computer/This PC.
- Right click on your memory card. Click on ‘Properties’.
- Select the ‘Tools’ tab in the next window.
- Click on ‘Check’. Windows will begin checking your device.
- You will get a pop up if any errors are found. Click on ‘Repair Drive’.
- You will get a message when the scan is complete. Click on ‘Show Details’ to see the repairs that were made.
Recover Data from Memory Cards with Stellar Data Recovery
If the above-mentioned steps are not working, the problem may be deep-rooted. In such cases, it is advisable to take the help of a professional data recovery company. Stellar Data Recovery can come to your rescue here.
Stellar Data Recovery is an industry leading ISO 9001:2015 & 27001:2013 certified data recovery service provider. They follow an advanced data recovery process which uses proprietary tools. The success rate at Stellar speaks for itself. It has achieved 95% success for memory card data recovery. They have served more than 2 million customers globally. What’s more? Advanced data recovery processes and professional data recovery experts.
But beyond the usual norms, here is everything that makes Stellar different:
- They have the expertise to recover data from all types of memory cards.
- They have a ‘No Recovery No Charge*’ Policy.
- Stellar has a Class 100 Clean Room lab. This ensures 100% secure and safe data recovery
- All norms of 100% data security are followed. Privacy is given the highest priority.
- They have 15 branches across India
- They offer free pickup and drop facility
Stellar Data Recovery assures you a successful data recovery. So, get in touch with them to retrieve valuable data from your corrupted memory card.